[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 15-21, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 15-21, 2013

Note: if converting my UT logs to ``ELT``, remember that starting March 10 the difference is 4 hours instead of 5 hours.

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** U S A [and non]. 780, interesting situation here March 21 at 0604 UT. KSPI Stillwater OK is still leaving its 250-watt-daytimer carrier on all-night. With WBBM nulled, I am hearing KSPI`s fast SAH beating against ``Lonesome Man`` and another bluegrass song, i.e. the new KCEG Pueblo CO with 720 watts night; the two are in roughly opposite direxions.

Rotating the radio at 0606, both of those disappear, and I hear instead WBBM and something in Spanish, a Mexican with a CST timecheck I would love to identify, those two being in roughly opposite direxions. In between, KSPI makes a slower SAH with WBBM, which is rather attenuated in somewhat auroral conditions (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, March 15 at 1325 UT, KXXX (``K-triple-X``), Colby KS with series of ads for farm & ranch real estate auxions in CO and KS, specifying date and timezone for each; in null of KURM Rogers AR doing tradio, but KXXX is stronger at the moment. In NW corner of KS, used to be listenable on groundwave here until KQCV 800 OKC upped power and splatter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, March 17 at 0612 UT, ``10-30, The Light, and KCWJ.org``, into ``Amen`` hymn, i.e. 5/0.5 kW Blue Springs MO. When hearing religion on 1030 now in the nightmiddle, must be careful not to suspect 50 kW daytimer KCTA cheating (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, March 15 at 1312 UT, dominant signal is all about Austin TX, mentions SXSW, rodeoaustin.com tickets March 8-23, Austin Infiniti; so KVET. Tune-out before they get back to sports talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1320, March 15 at 1310 UT, after the Spanish fades (XECPN?), ``Newstalk 1320 and 107.9, KELO.com``, TC for 10 past 8, cloudy, 35 degrees, ad for siouxlandoralsurgery.com  Not that there`s any doubt, but 35 chex with NWS for Sioux Falls SD 8 am temp. Must be on 5 kW non-direxional day pattern now, as nite aims NW and minor SE. Yes, FCC shows March SR 1245 UT, gaining a full hour in April to 1145.

The FM may be a recent addition, not mentioned in NRC AM Log. FCC shows it`s KELQ, 21 kW at Flandreau (which IIRC is mispronounced Flan-drew``). Yes, FCC call sign changes shows:
KELQ 3/01/2013
KXQL 8/17/2006
i.e. KELQ just started a fortnight ago, and there were several other calls before KXQL.

To me, KELO meant first the TV station on channel 11 that I DXed by tropo several times in the 60s, as well as its relays, also by sporadic E on 3 and 6. KELO DTV is still on channel 11, after transitioning on 32 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1350, March 17 at 1311 UT, religious event announcements from Iowa, mentioning KRNT, gospel song. Hope this is just a Sunday-morning aberration and KRNT Des Moines hasn`t abandoned its talk/nostalgia format (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1480, March 17 at 0501 UT, much publicized 50 kW day-pattern DX test from KBXD Dallas, supposed to be tones, etc., on the hour and half-hour between 05 and 07 UT, but all I can hear for a moment in the heavy QRM is Brother Scare, who has been on KBXD for quite some time, presumably his only 1480 station.

I don`t `need` KBXD since I have been hearing it since its first on-air tests after reconstruxion months ago. But also checked 0530-0532, again nothing like a DX test, and at 0532 the hoarsevoice of BS audible. Again at 0559 a bit of BS dominant for a moment, then gone.

This did lead me to another intriguing log of an unID from MEXICO, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, after nothing out of the ordinary heard from KBXD Dallas TX during its DX test from 0500 UT March 17, got this reply from Jerry Kiefer, also to organizer Paul B Walker: ``Paul, Just got back to town. Yes we did the test last night with the tones etc but a staff screw up kept us at regular night power last night. Your call, do you want to reschedule another test in a few weeks? I apologize for the screw up as I know there was a lot of interest. Jerry`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1320, March 15 at 1307 UT, Spanish timecheck for 8:08, temperatura tope 12 grados, I thought they said, meaning predicted hi, somewhere in the CDT zone. I thought I had KRDD Roswell NM as DF seemed ENE/WSW, but that`s in MDT. Heavy CCI; then I am still getting it with a SSE/NNW peak, so points to KXYZ Houston, which is CDT, but today`s hi per NWS there will be 78 degrees F = 25 C. Maybe it was really the current temp. Wish we had a schedule of what times KXYZ is SS rather than Chinese or others.

Hmmm, I should be looking at Tejas-border Mexicans, which observe CDT already unlike most of México and would routinely temp in Celsius, i.e. XECPN Piedras Negras, 20 kW day power with news format per IRCA Log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1490, March 19 at 0132 UT, dutifully trying for the WVBG Vicksburg MS DX test, where the only advantage is the Morse code and anything else that might cut thru the QRM, since as a graveyarder it is on the same power and tower 24 hours. One earphone from the DX-398, the other from the FRG-7 with E-W longwire, producing ``stereo`` QRM effect. Probably better results on the latter.

Right away I can almost imagine I am hearing in the pileup some hi-pitched code, but too slow to recognize as Morse; just as likely could be bits of music highs from who knows what. Also maybe at 0144; gave up at 0147. Meanwhile, thinking of what I would need to recognize as the ID, I realize that in Morse, WVBG is a palindrome! So this was not a pointless exercise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1490, March 19 at 0600 UT, barely above the pileup heard phone 1-800-438-1430 mentioned. This allows me to rail against the reverse-lookup sites, which when searching on this keep bringing up nearby numbers, and/or require payment for the answer. Searching on an unique phone number ought to lead directly to the owner without all this hassle (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)