Re: [IRCA] A visit to Radio Cook Islands (Walter Salmaniw)

Re: [IRCA] A visit to Radio Cook Islands (Walter Salmaniw)

 Hi Walt,

Thanks for your really interesting account of tracking down the current
location of RCI.

Evidently their situation has changed dramatically, and not for the better.
In 1993 I found their studios to be a pleasant, low-slung building with a
colorful "Radio Cook Islands" banner and artwork painted on the side. It
was definitely not an unmarked building as you described. A photo from 1993
is included in the link I posted yesterday:
https://www.box.com/s/54f9bd67h9mso23h0fvy

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:35:51 +0000
> From: Walter Salmaniw <canswl@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: "dxld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dxld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [IRCA] A visit to Radio Cook Islands
>
> Visit to Radio Cook Islands
>
> Sunday night blew all night with quite a major storm, but little rain.
>  The morning revealed a lot of debris on the ground and all the roads,
> and even a fishing boat washed up on the breakwater in Avarua town.
> Monday morning, we went back into town and after asking around, easily
> found RCI.  It?s one block west of the town turn-around, and former
> location of the SW transmitters of RCI.  On the site is, perhaps the
> largest building in Avarua town, and that?s the court house?a large,
> imposing brick building.  One sees absolutely no sign of the former
> occupants.

<SNIP>