Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-6: My experience at Cannon Beach, OR

Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-6: My experience at Cannon Beach, OR

Gary, it was my first morning at Rockwork south of Cannon Beach using the
FSL antenna!  First of all, I had set my alarm for 5:15 to give plenty of
time to set up and get out there (about a 15 or 20 minute drive).
 Unfortunately, the alarm didn't go off, and I awoke at 6:15 instead.
 Quickly dashing to the car, I was off within a few minutes and headed to
Rockwork with the dawn starting to light up the sky.  The car AM radio was
full of 1 and 2 kHz hets, so I knew things would be pretty decent.  Now
this was my first experience with the FSL, and I wasn't 100% sure of my
direction at Rockwork.  So, I screwed up a wee bit (been watching too many
of Gary's videos from the summer!).  As it turned out I had the FSL
pointing pretty S/SW.  I'm really pleased with the compactness of
everything, too.  The FSL fits perfectly in a plastic container.  The FLG
100LN strapped onto the FSL support fits easily.  I fed the FSL via  50 ohm
RG 174 coax...very compact, and easily slips back into the car without
kinking the coax.  The other end of the FLG is beside me on the seat, fed
for 12VDC via a small 12 volt gel battery.  My Perseus SDR is powered by
another tiny 6V 5AH gel battery...good for a few hours of dawn enhancement
DXing.  My ASUS U36S series laptop, very thin and miserly on power, runs
for about 6 hours on the internal battery.  Couldn't be easier!
     Conditions were definitely excellent toward Asia, especially the lower
half of the band.  I'm not sure whether it was me correcting the direction
of the FSL, but after 14:00, conditions were greatly enhanced with the same
frequencies as Gary mentioned booming in, as well as some that I have not
been really familiar with, for which I'll need to do some digging when I
can, into the Perseus files.  In fact the good conditions continued to well
past LSR, and with the sun shining.  I pulled the plug on the Perseus
around 14:30, and while heading back to Cannon Beach, hets continued right
up to past 15:00 (on 830, anyway from 828).  This is the best I've
experienced this year, and sense is, much better than what Guy experienced
a while back with his FSL.  Anyway, many thanks to Gary for introducing us
all to the FSL!  73,.....Walt.
PS:  I'll be very interested in hearing how Colin fared in Tofino (?) this
morning with his FSL!