From: Tim Tromp <kilokat7@xxxxxxxxx>
To: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Sep 3, 2012 3:25 pm
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Michigan DUs for Mon. 9/3/2012

Hi Gary,

Thank you (and thanks to Bill Whitacre) for the additional information
on the Southern Star network.  Now, if I'm lucky enough to ever catch
this again, I will at least know what I'm supposed to be listening for
on this frequency.

BTW, I'm amazed at your videos.  I'm not sure what's better - the Oregon
scenery or the amazing DX!  Great work!

73,
Tim Tromp
West Michigan

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 14:27 -0400, d1028gary@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Tim,
>
> Thanks for your amazing DU-DX report from West Michigan, and
> congratulations on your South Pacific catches.
>
> <<<   657: Stapping het at 1109 that should have produced audio but it
> seemed more like a dead carrier.  mwlist.org shows New Zealand's 2YC
> Southern Star/RNZ Parliament.  I checked the Parliament stream and it
> was also streaming "dead air".  The RNZ website indicates that it's only
> available when the house is in session.  I don't know what "Southern
> Star" is, but maybe this fills the airtime when the Parliament is not in
> session?    >>>
>
> The "Southern Star" network is a Christian music broadcasting group of
> New Zealand stations which almost always uses the frequencies in
> question during the times of favorable South Pacific propagation to
> North America (from my experience). I have never heard the RNZ
> Parliament programming on any of these frequencies during 11 Pacific
> beach DXing trips.
>
> "Southern Star" typically is best received on 657 kHz on the west
> coast, although the other network frequencies are also occasionally
> heard. A 963-Southern Star ID (that pegged the PL-380's S/N reading at
> the 25 maximum) from the last Oregon Cliff DXpedition is posted at
> http://www.mediafire.com/?5232u1x353foufw
>
> 73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

editors, publishing staff, or officers