Re: [IRCA] Michigan DUs for Mon. 9/3/2012

Re: [IRCA] Michigan DUs for Mon. 9/3/2012

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your amazing DU-DX report from West Michigan, and
congratulations on your South Pacific catches.

<<<   657: Stapping het at 1109 that should have produced audio but it
seemed more like a dead carrier.  mwlist.org shows New Zealand's 2YC
Southern Star/RNZ Parliament.  I checked the Parliament stream and it
was also streaming "dead air".  The RNZ website indicates that it's only
available when the house is in session.  I don't know what "Southern
Star" is, but maybe this fills the airtime when the Parliament is not in
session?    >>>

The "Southern Star" network is a Christian music broadcasting group of
New Zealand stations which almost always uses the frequencies in
question during the times of favorable South Pacific propagation to
North America (from my experience). I have never heard the RNZ
Parliament programming on any of these frequencies during 11 Pacific
beach DXing trips.

"Southern Star" typically is best received on 657 kHz on the west
coast, although the other network frequencies are also occasionally
heard. A 963-Southern Star ID (that pegged the PL-380's S/N reading at
the 25 maximum) from the last Oregon Cliff DXpedition is posted at
http://www.mediafire.com/?5232u1x353foufw

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

DXing from West Michigan and perhaps the best morning yet (including
last year).  Listening session lasted from 1050 UTC to 1130 UTC
(6:50am-7:30am Eastern, local sunrise @ 7:12am):

576: Het, faint

612: Het, faint

657: Stapping het at 1109 that should have produced audio but it seemed
more like a dead carrier.  mwlist.org shows New Zealand's 2YC Southern
Star/RNZ Parliament.  I checked the Parliament stream and it was also
streaming "dead air".  The RNZ website indicates that it's only
available when the house is in session.  I don't know what "Southern
Star" is, but maybe this fills the airtime when the Parliament is not in
session?

684: Het, faint

693: Het, peaking 1114 but not enough for audio.

702 2BL Sydney: Weak but discernible audio fading in and out during the
entire listening session.  During the peaks, audio could be clearly
paralleled against ABC's webstream.  Monotonous interview between two
males at 1105, Dionne Warwick's song "Walk on by" heard at 1126, about
20 seconds or so ahead of the webstream.  The most sustainable audio
I've heard from 2BL to date.

729 Het, faint

738 Polynésie 1ère: Weak French audio, more sustaining audio noted this
morning than noted in previous listening sessions.

747: Het, faint

827.997: Het, with a strong peak at 1119 then soon gone.

Domestic stuff:

640 KFI noted with a huge local-like signal way over KWPN (for once)
during 1100 TOH, the best I've heard them here.

750 KHWG Fallon, NV. "K-HOG, The Mighty 7-50" with classic c/w music,
local-like signal at 1109 UTC.

760 KKZN Thornton, CO "Colorado's Progressive Talk" continues to have a
big signal here in the morning.

73,
Tim Tromp
Muskegon, MI.
Perseus SDR + phased BOGs

original
contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its
editors, publishing staff, or officers