[IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight DU's for 8-21

[IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight DU's for 8-21

Hello All,

Thanks very much to Dennis and Nick for their TP-DXing reports this morning, which are always very interesting. Nick mentioned that the DXing results here on the Oregon coast must have been quite a bit different... well, at the risk of having both of them drive down here and throw me off of the Cliff, here goes...

It was another bizarre morning here on the 400 ft. high cliff, which seems to generate its own enhanced DU propagation. Kiwis and Aussies were filling up most of the split frequencies, and figting it out loudly on frequencies like 594 and 792. The New Zealand stations still had the edge (with 567-RN, 603-Waatea, 657-Southern Star, 675-RN, 756-RN and 765-Kahungunu pegging the PL-380 S/N reading at 25 at times), but the Aussies on 576, 774, 792 and 1116 proved that they could do the same thing. I stumbled across a loud fight on 792 between the Aussie 4RN and the 5 kW Kiwi station Radio Sport, which proved that it could put up a good fight against 4RN's music. 594 had another fight between NZ Rhema's low-powered Kiwi network and the 50 kW Aussie 3WV, and the low-powered Kiwi Christian network definitely was not turning the other cheek. 603-Waatea and 765-Kahungunu were both pegging the PL-380's S/N reading with parallel Maori-language programming at 1340, and by a stroke of luck I tuned into 585 kHz at the same time and found the same two Maori-language voices on the 2 kW Kiwi station on the frequency (an all-time new logging for me). Many other bizarre, obscure DU stations were fighting to be heard but the sunrise enhancement collapsed around 1400 before I could come close to tracking them all down (with my live Ultralight DXing). The experience of chasing DU's here on the sheer cliff with a hot-rodded PL-380 and an 8" FSL is radically different than any DXing experience I've ever had, and I've made it a point to record MP3's of all these weird signals so that other TP-DXers can share in the excitement (or maybe book their own trip to Cannon Beach or Yachats?).

Longwave DX had three Radio Rossii stations pegging the S/N display (153, 234 and 279 kHz), while 180 and 189 kHz had good signals. Even a presumed 164-Mongolia seemed to be rising above the noise level. NDB-DX was equally wild with 4 new Alaskans heard , including 414-IME and 382-JNR, from the home airport of the Discovery Channel's "Flying Wild Alaska." Strangely enough, no South Pacific NDB's showed up this morning, although 238-KT had a very vibrant signal yesterday, along with fair signals from 260-NF and 270-FA. All in all, a very weird morning... with 3 more to come!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (at Cannon Beach, OR)
DXing with a 7.5" Loopstick PL-380 + 8" MW and LW Ferrite Sleeve Loop antennas at "Rockwork 4" Highway 101 road side turnoff, 15 miles south of Cannon Beach at the southern border of Oswald West State Park, Tillamook County