[IRCA] 720 and 780 this morning

The AU cx took their toll on these channels as well. WGN was moderate but fady when on, but when off left only noise. WBBM wasn't as strong as WGN, and only bits and pieces of presumed R. Coro made it through the noise.

DX'ing during auroras when I was using a Hammarlund and 4' loop and with fewer noise sources back in the 1970's was different from using barefoot 2010's, that's for sure.

The noise level was so elevated though that I'm not sure an outdoor antenna would have helped much. Usually the low end here is pretty bad unless conditions are quiet. And I think the mild winter may have played a role as well in not taking the noise level down to usual winter levels.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>