Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Building a "state of the art" MW DX station

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Building a "state of the art" MW DX station

Understood. I'm thinking of investing in some DX Engineering "Receive Feedline Current Chokes" DXE-RFCC-1 which retail for $64.95 each. I'm hoping this will eliminate any common-mode noise along the feedline. Plan is to place one near the antenna, and another near the receiver.

There have been a lot of experiments on eliminating noise captured by the antenna feed line. I've tried toroid filters, as have other people. One thing that does show a good improvement is using a balanced line instead. Many use speaker cable, twisted, and with baluns at each end. I've used CAT5 ethernet cable and found a noticeable improvement of lower noise and also less ingress of radio signals not from the antenna itself.

Speaker cable is used by a lot of serious antenna experimenters. The baluns are easy to make and not expensive. I'd recommend trying that instead of coax cable from the antenna to the receiver.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI