Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Building a "state of the art" MW DX station

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Building a "state of the art" MW DX station

Hi Les,

There was a discussion concerning the SDR-IQ vs. the Perseus on the Perseus Yahoo group around the end of November; look in the group archives for details. The Perseus software seems to be rather static, while the SDR-Radio software for RFSpace radios keeps on being developed, and even the simpler RFSpace Spectravue software keeps improving in fits and starts (remember that software is important in a "software defined radio"). However, I don't think anyone would disagree that the Perseus hardware is more crunchproof than the SDR-IQ, in addition to the Perseus' greater bandwidth. More recent RFSpace radios are more comparable to the Perseus, but they are pricier. For some peculiar reason, they come complete with electrically noisy power supplies along with the higher price.

As for antennas, the broadband Wellbrook loops do seem to be quite resistant to local noise. I've used the ALA100 with quite a lot of success in electrically noisy hotel rooms, suspended in a window, and driving both conventially tuned radios and SDRs. Tacking the loop onto your fence (the loops receive well close to the ground) will likely give quite good results. Main problem is that loops do have a null. Can you do two loops at right angles to each other (maybe after verifying their lower noise level at your site before springing for the second one), and switching between them, or even phasing them together?

best wishes,

Nick