From: Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: am <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steve Francis <amdxmail@xxxxxxx>; amdx <amdx@xxxxxxxxxx>; irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Oct 25, 2011 5:15 pm
Subject: Re: Help please from Salem and Vancouver tower historians

Says Earl Higgins:
> Of course, as you correctly point out, BY doesn't seem to have started
ncluding
 transmitter coordinates until 1991. KSLM's location is given in that issue as
4
 56 32 N 123 04 17 W (what you would type into Google maps:  44.9422,
123.0714);
 this is several miles south of the current FCC listing of  44°    59' 43.00" N
23°
 04' 15.00" W  (what you would type into Google maps:  44.9953,  -123.0708).

 If you look on Google maps, the "old" (1991) coordinates map to an address on

 street curiously named "Tower Drive NW" but clearly now a residential
 subdivision. In fact, it is within 2/10 of a mile of the address you have for
 the tower site in the 1950s. It's likely the 1950s site you have, and the 1991
 site Broadcasting Yearbook has, are in fact the same site. So there you have
 reasonably definitive evidence that it was probably there in 1976.
ncidentally,
 you can see their now single tower located in the corner of some kind of
rchard
 or farm by typing in the current coordinates.
Here's one more resource you can bring to bear on the issue, just to be
ven more certain:
Go to FCCInfo.com. Type in "KSLM" into the "Historic Call Sign" box
second from top). A list will pop up of all the stations that have used
he KSLM calls, and the one we want is the last one, now KWOD 1390.
Click on the call letters in blue, then click on them again on the next
age that pops up - and then click on "Other KWOD Applications." This
rings us to the FCC's Application Search Results page (it's quicker to
et there from FCCInfo.com than from the actual FCC page!)
This brings up all the apps that have been filed with the FCC since
bout 1978 for this station. We can disregard most of them - any of the
nes that start with "BR" are license renewals, "BTC" and "BAL"
epresent station sales or transfers of control, "BZ" are requests for
irect measurement and "SMOV" is a dummy record for an X-band allocation
hat never happened.
That leaves just a few files of interest that start with "BP," "BLSTA"
nd "BL."
"BP" is an application for a construction permit to modify KSLM's
acilities, and we can see that the only BP- record since 1978 is dated
/30/1996. "BLSTA" is the Special Temporary Authority that was
pparently granted while KSLM was moving facilities, and the lone BL-
ecord, dated 1/21/1997, represents KSLM's license to cover its new
acilities at its new site.
While a handful of FCC records have been lost from the electronic
atabase over the years, we can now say with near 100% certainty that
SLM did not move between at least 1978 and the coordinates in the 1991
roadcasting Yearbook, and that it did not move between then and 1997,
hen it arrived at its current coordinates. Combined with Earl's "Tower
oad" find, this gets us to at least 99% certainty that KSLM in 1976 was
t the same location as in 1991.
> Now, on to CKWX. The 2002-2003 Edition of Broadcasting Yearbook, the most
ecent
 one available on the site, lists CKWX 49 09 22 N 123 04 00 W (what you would
 type into Google maps:  49.1561, -123.0667). Looking at Google maps satellite
 view, you can see there are indeed 2 towers at this site, and both
 http://www.radio-locator.com/  and  http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/  agree that
his
 is the current site of CKWX. So we can assume that it was there in 2005 as
ell.

 So one could say, with a pretty high degree of confidence, that KSLM, at
 -123.0714 degrees west, being further west than CKWX's -123.0667 degrees west,
 is your furthest west catch.
And having visited CKWX in 1999, I can confirm that it was at the same
ocation in 1999 as in 2002-03 and now...and thus in 2005 as well. Of
he Vancouver AMs, only 1040 and 1410 (and of course the new 1200) have
uilt new sites in the last decade or so.