From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Tim Hills
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:45 PM
To: Stephen Airy; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] WGBW Test (10-11p PDT): Should I try? Which radio 2 use?

Offhand I'd say your best bet would be the PL-606 with the
Select-a-tenna. The DSP might filter out the IBOC crud.

Good chance, probably not, some chance, always.

I'm using a DX-440 and homebrew variable geometry active ferrite. (Don't
know how else to describe it) The 440 is not known fro it's MW
performance and I'm still not quite satisfied with the antenna but I'm
working on it. A lot of fading in and out on 1590 tonight so if they're
running CW I might catch it even though I'm in the daytime null

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD
On 10/22/2011 23:25, Stephen Airy wrote:
> Hi all, regarding the WGBW test...
>
> I'm about 2834.46 km from them at a bearing of 253.47°.  According to
their daytime pattern data, they have a standard field of 76.96 mV/m @ 1 km.
(Their IDF for 10kW is 1098.7 mV/m; calculations indicate they radiate
approximately 49 watts in my direction.)
> My main nighttime pest is 1580 KMIK Tempe, AZ, whose IBOC-spewing jammer
blasts me from 482.23 km at a bearing toward me of 262.18°.  Their field
toward me is approximately 2875 mV/m @ 1 km.  (IDF is 2026.04 mV/m;
calculations indicating their ERP toward me is about 100 kW.)
> On many occasions at night, KMIK has been about as strong as 600 KOGO @ 8
miles on its 5kW pattern, 910 KECR @ 9 miles on its 5kW day pattern, 1170
KCBQ @ 9 miles on its 2.9kW night pattern and 1360 KLSD @ 8 miles on its 1kW
night operations.

> I'm also wondering which radio should I use?  Should I use the Tecsun
PL-606 with its narrow DSP filtering?  Or, should I use the GE Superradio
III with its longer ferrite bar?  In either case, I do have a Select-A-Tenna
available, which I expect to use as well.