From: neilkaz <neilkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "am@xxxxxxxxxxx" <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ABDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ABDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:25 AM
Subject: [IRCA] This morning's DU chase from WI.. Perseus SDR etc

Here in Grafton WI, I woke up a bit prior to 1123 sunrise to check for DU's using a 489 ft BOG at 241 degrees (I undo a splice in one of the lower latitude TA BOGs and hook up from the other end directly to the Perseus).

This wire has a really good natural null on WLW 700 which is helpful to reduce QRM on 702. From 1114-1116 there was a good Mexican signal on 700 o/WLW with promos and suffering from Sydney's 702 het at times. There were a couple of Radio Red ID's so XEDKR new here.

By 1118 702 was starting to peak and at times only a couple db less than the 700 mix. I could copy a few words of an Aussie male interviewing band members (same voices later on webstream when I went back inside). Over to 738 at 1120 which had peaked to a decent level with a strong near 2hz SAH. Audio was from a gal with French intonations. I checked around for other DU's and 567 had a decent carrier but seemed to be about 5 dB even on peaks below what is needed for audio. 702 went into a fade at 1127 and this was the end of any trace audio although I noted a 738 peak at 1128 which now was Aussie rather than Tahiti with the same male voices as on 702. WRPQ 740 seemed to be on day power early which was a bit of a bother.

September seems to be the best month for this sort of stuff which is nice to hear again. Hopefully someday I can get a few more and drag up some audio from needed NZ.

These DU signals peak here and back home in IL just about sunrise. By 10 minutes after SR they were considerably weaker and by 15 minutes after basically all gone. Someone with good antennas on the other side of Lake Michigan near the water would have done well this morning.

A few comparisons over the past couple of weeks is showing that the Perseus is superior to the R8A when it comes both to getting adjacent domestics next to strong locals and when it comes to pulling out audio on close splits. I can typically recover better audio from 2 and especially 1 Khz splits, although in general audio recovery is superior with the Perseus for all splits due to superior and tighter filters. The notch on the Perseus is highly effective and NR is extremely useful. I get some weak white noise type of hiss mostly from the Quantum Phaser and NR takes much of it out. NB can also be useful for powerline noise.

Back at my main home in IL I again have severe powerline noise and the Perseus does a lot better job of getting good audio past that noise than does the R8A.

73 KAZ Grafton WI Perseus and 489 ft BOG at 241 deg for DU's