Re: [IRCA] RG11

Haven't tried that, Craig. BTW for do-it-yourself Balun arrays if you're not into winding them, look at the many many options available at www.minicircuits.com. Very inexpensive too.

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Healy
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:48 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] RG11

Another test I made is making a balun for each end and using CAT5
ethernet network cable.  It's balanced and gathers less noise or
unwanted signals on the way in.  Also cheap and very easy to build.

I would second the Cat 5e approach.  I've done a number of controlled
tests and it outperforms RG-58 hands down, MW thru 10 meters, for
noise performance and signal loss.

Have you tried using it for more than one feed? I did make a 1X4 balun set so I could send four individual signals through it. Worked just as well.

Example: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-7769

With shorter runs (50 feet or so) I haven't needed baluns.

Haven't tried that. Seemed just as easy to add a toroid balun to the adapter box. RJ-45 plugs make it dead simple.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI