Re: [IRCA] New Ford auto radios-the future?

Re: [IRCA] New Ford auto radios-the future?

I don't pay too much attention to FM but the AM stations here all seem to have their market niche.

2 are talk radio on 1140 (KSOO) and 1320 (KELO) with 4 or 5 hours of local talk/issue programming per day plus they both carry Mass/Services on Sunday for shut ins and cover local semi-pro games and high school tournaments. It's interesting to hear the different takes of the talking heads on each station about local issues. The host of the afternoon/drive time call-in was Mayor of Sioux Falls in the 1980s and leans to the Liberal side. The morning guy on the other station is a hard core Conservative. Politics aside I think it's a good thing to get both sides of an issue. Both have night patterns roughly NW running 5KW, could be catches in Western Canada or Montana. KELO does QSL by email, I know the guy that handles that for them, not sure about KSOO.

My issue with both of the above stations is that their night patterns converge in my back yard and both transmitters are less than 5 miles away causing untold havoc in the upper MW band but it's given me a challenge that I'm slowly overcoming as spare time permits for experimentation,

One is C&W which will probably never change, rural coverage is good with plenty of farm oriented news, I think they've had the same format for over 70 years. Npn directional day and night so KXRB on 1000 might be readable for some distance. I've gotten them on a car radio 300 miles to the west right before local sunset. Unknown QSL policy.

KWSN, 1230 is our ESPN affiliate also carrying the local College and semi pro games with sports news focused on the Sioux Falls market. With 440W/ND it would be a rare DX. Owned by the same company and studios in the same building as KELO so if someone catches it let me know if you need help with confirmation.

KNWC on 1270 is a Christian/Religious station running 5KW/day and 2300W night directional on a SW/NE bearing. Local services and "Big Name" preachers but they have broken to all local coverage for disasters/emergencies in the past and I have heard that they do QSL by email from their web site.

KZOY on 1520 runs 500W/ND day only. 80's rock and focused on the Brandon, SD market. Catch phrases to listen for are "Sunny Radio" and "Where it's always in the '80s".

The AM stations here are all alive and well and considering that there is still a lot of rural audience and plenty of political controversy and small town sports to go around for at least the forseeable future other than KZOY I don't see any of them going off the air anytime soon.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD