Re: [IRCA] noise issue update

Old trick on that one, making filaments last longer that is.

A diode in series with the center conductor drops the wattage of a 100W bulb to about 82W and they last many times longer. Tungsten increases in resistance as it gets hotter so even though the RMS voltage is 1/2, the current is higher making up the other 32% of power. Learned that trick when I worked for 3M on overhead projectors and copiers (ahem) a few years back.

2A 400V diodes are fine for up to 100W, increase the current rating for larger bulbs.

Center conductor on an Edison base bulb because the outer screw-ring is (supposed to be) neutral with the center being hot. Safety first.......

A 0.1 uF 400V ceramic cap  across the diode should kill any RFI.

0.01uF/1KV caps across the ballast of fourescents also kills the noise nicely but only on the transformer based ballasts.