Re: [IRCA] noise issue update

My favorite DX spot -- at the Hale Kona Kai Condos -- right next to the
Pacific Ocean on the Big Island of Hawaii -- is a WALL of noise
from about 1800 local to 2300 local. Often S9 signals -- all sounding
very "SCR speed control and light dimmer" like.

Is ironic that all the lighting there has been replaced
with energy smart fluorescent tubes and the like but the
noise level has gone from -121dbm (less than S1) to -63dbm (10db over S9)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:02:04 -0700 mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx (Patrick Martin) wrote:
>A light dimmer can be turned down and not off and the owner may not even
>know it. I doubt this 92 year old man is a DXer either. hi.  But unless
>a DXer wants to move miles away from people, they are stuck with noise.
>This noise drops off once you get above 1000 kHz, and shows up a bit in
>60 meters, but the issue is mainly the lower MW and LW frequencies.

Colin Newell is the editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com, DXer.ca and BobHarris.com Amateur Radio VA7WWV - Victoria B.C. Canada | Twitter.com/coffeecrew