From: Tim Hills <thills@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] 30 years of skywave DXing
Date: Friday, April 15, 2011, 6:19 AM

Been watching this thread but with the rush at the end of Tax season this is the first chance I've had to sit down at home longer than it takes to inhale my breakfast. At 51 there aren't too many online groups that make me feel like a young pup....

The DX bug bit me when I was about 9.
My father had gotten me a Zenith portable for my birthday, he was a Zenith factory rep at the time. I used it to listen to the local top 40 station mostly but one night I was turning the dial I heard a weak signal and listened to it for a while. I was quite surprised that the station was in far off and exotic Omaha. The very same WOW if I recall. Ford dealership commercial/jingle is all I remember clearly. My bedroom was in the basement but when I took the radio into the back yard I found stations in San Francisco and Denver the same night.

I was hooked.

The CE of one of the local TV/radio stations was a neighbor at the time and when I told him about it he told me it was probably E layer skip and that shortwave stations could be heard from around the world and loaned me a Transoceanic that opened up a new world for me. Not only could I hear Moscow, London and Cuba easily but the MW reception brought in more stations than I knew existed. Never occurred to me to keep a log.

My main focus for DX over the next 42 years has been HF with MW mixed in and I'm getting back into it seriously again. I've used everything from crude crystal rigs to to Lab-grade WJ and Racal receivers in places as varied as dense urban to out in the Sonoran desert 30 miles from the nearest power-line or other humans.

I'll never forget the first DX with that Pepto-Bismol pink radio with the Zenith badge.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD