Re: [IRCA] 30 years of skywave DXing

I joined the NNRC in probably 1957 and the NRC shortly thereafter, when I was in 10th grade.
I don't recall any NNRC picnics in NJ that far back. I also learned of NNRC through
the Newark News. They had done a profile on me, as a ham, in an edition of the Newark
Sunday news who had a weekly column featuring local hams, in 1954. It was written
by Carl Erbacher, W2EKU, a reporter for that paper. Coincidentally it was just featured
as a novelty on LakelandARC.blogspot.com as I had shown it (clipping) to KI4ZMV who runs that
blog, a couple months ago. Lakeland ARC is now my 'local' ham club.

One of the NNRC things I recall was the reports from John Callarman, then stationed in Germany
with the Army, hearing such goodies as Tripoli-1052. That was probably the earliest
time in my life that I was aware of foreign MW DX. Back then, DX prizes available
to us in NJ included ZBM-1 Bermuda 1235 and Norden-Osterloog, Germany on 1295, which was
my first TA. Heard on a 1937-era Philco floor console with a big sliderule glass dial.

I went to a couple of the NNRC picnics with Tom Sundstrom, sometime in the 1970's
and they were held at Patapsco State Park in Maryland. I don't have any of the old
bulletins.

73 Bob Foxworth