Re: [IRCA] 30 ... or more ... years of skywave DXing

Re: [IRCA] 30 ... or more ... years of skywave DXing

Great thread. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and my brother (7 years my senior) was an active ham in high school in the late 50's and had naturally hooked me into SWLing.  One day he mentioned that "broadcast band" (haven't used that term for a long time) stations also had QSL cards.  Fortunately, he had a Hallicrafters S-76 which made DXing a lot easier.  I don't recall what my first BCB QSL was, but I was off and running.  I was already a NNRC member, but soon joined the National Radio Club and was, eventually, an IRCA founding member after attending the infamous Denver convention. Still remember corresponding and running around with Frank Williams, Larry Schwartz, Tom Seaver, and Randy Seaver.  My best DX was, and probably still is, 500 watt WMHI-1370 in Braddock Heights, MD.  The radio influence was so pervasive that I seriously considered a career in broadcasting. Carl Mann and Glen Kippel had some serious talks with me and that was
 that.  Geez, really miss shortwave interval signals and Monday morning frequency checks on "the broadcast band".

Bob Coomler
Tucson, AZ