Re: [IRCA] Working on the problem

Thanks Russ.

The mixed loop is more for fine tuning the preamp than any permanent solution, leftover 1x2 from another project and notched for the wires with a miter saw. Quick and dirty. Since the varactors are switched between the 2 loops the smaller loop doesn't seem to interfere with the larger one though below about 5MHz there doesn't seem to be a null on the smaller one. I have some Litz coming and plan on doing a 3' MW loop separate from any other antennas.

Null is sharp on MW and I can detect a station at 1120 with very little of 1140 blasting in here so the Q isn't that bad either. I think replacing the 26 gauge vinyl covered wire taken out of some old Cat 5 with Litz and getting rid of the inner loop would be a big improvement on it's own.

The Preamp is sensitive enough that I get decent reception by hooking 5' of wire to each side through a 33pF cap on HF feeding my modded S350DLX. Hmmm, 10' length of leftover Copper pipe.. I think a stealthy vertical dipole is in mu future :D

I have a roaring sinus headache but my next experiment is to use the inner 4 turn CT winding as the pickup for the MW loop. I'll try that this evening if this headache goes away..

Tim