[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, February 12-19, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, February 12-19, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** CUBA. 1620, Feb 18 at 0716, R. Rebelde atop the jumble, unusual but conditions are auroral, // 5025 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. 2280+, 2 x 1140, HIRA, Feb 15 at 1054 UT, S9+15 signal well above the noise level in romantic music; 1055 ``Radio Anacaona, [viva?] la reina del sur`` canned ID, loud and clear but was not taping. Then I rolled tape and caught identical ID at next break 1100, right back to music. Here`s a 24-second clip with sample of the music:
http://www.w4uvh.net/anacaona.rm
Also included in this week`s WORLD OF RADIO 1552
http://www.w4uvh.net/wor1552.m3u

Trouble is, its town, San Juan de la Maguana is not on the south coast but in west-central RD, not far from Haiti. Googling on it gets a number of hits in French too (or could there be a Haitian station by the same name? None in WRTH, but FM is incomplete). Maybe they help Haiti out, post-earthquake.

Here`s a photo of their building:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10828907

See my previous report for research on the name Anacaona (accent on the o). My original log of it around 0000-0030 had higher noise/signal ratio, but modulation seemed somewhat distorted. Now I am more sure of that, in music and as lively DJ starts talking around 1102; carrier is also slightly unstable. I then compared it to 1280 and 3280 [ECUADOR], and found 2280 to be slightly on the hi side.

1106 talk, too bassy, overmodulated/distorted, ad with siren SFX. Talk still audible at 1123. Sunrise there today was 1113 UT. It will become an hour earlier by summer solstice (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, KSPI Stillwater still has its perpetual plus and minus 4 kHz parasitic spurs on 776 and 784, obvious from hets on caradio stepping 770-780-790. Feb 11 at 2140 UT and anytime (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 640, WWLS has some serious transmitter problem. Again today Feb 12 at 2111 UT, splattering badly, on caradio I now think it reaches up to 670; hard to be sure whether splatter on 680 is coming from it or KGGF-690, both with ESPN Radio tho out of synch. Listening on 650, I can hear some distorted modulation as well as IBOC-like noise, so maybe it`s a mixture with the IBOC portion out of order. Furthermore, like yesterday there is crackling on 640 itself. Is anybody paying attention at the studio? That should be obvious on the off-air monitor, if any (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) A day or two later, back to good ol` IBOC alone.

** U S A. 1110, cf. yesterday`s report of nothing but KFAB Omaha audible here in daytime; is KVTT The Metroplex really on with 50 kW? It does have a null almost usward, and from another location on the west edge of Enid, and thus a little closer to its 320 degree minor lobe, I am hearing a barely audible SAH between KFAB and something else, Feb 12 at 2115 UT, clocked at 36 per minute = 0.6 Hz. Has anyone else measured the separation between these two stations? Such info is hard to come by, even on the MW Offset listing. BTW, at this time, 1440 Spanish from The Metroplex was in well, i.e. skywave at the higher end of the band already working, as KTNO does not make it here on groundwave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, KVTT, Mineral Wells (The Metroplex) TX: re my previous comments about lack of a daytime groundwave signal except for a SAH of 0.6 Hz vs KFAB: Artie Bigley put me in contact with the consulting engineer who designed the new 50 kW facility with a highly direxional pattern, Charles Staples, who gives me the exact bearing of a northward null, which is within a fraxion of a degree of the same true bearing toward Enid: 358 degrees. So if I go a little east or west I should start getting more traces of it. This null is not toward Omaha, as you would expect, which is somewhat east of north from the site which is about halfway between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls. Radio-locator map for entertainment shows it gets into OKC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Looking at my previous report that the website of KRVA-1600, The Metroplex was blank, I click on it again Feb 12 at 0505 UT: now it`s not blank, shows Mortensen Broadcasting, and antique logo for ``KRVA / AM 1600 / La Radio Viva`` plus ``Uploading content... Thank You.`` which I take to be a hollow promise, but will still check it again sometime. No linx on the homepage to anything else about KRVA, not a letter of Vietnamese. Kirk Allen says while in Houston he heard KRVA only in Vietnamese, except some English late at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 4050-, Feb 15 at 1018 UT, JBA ads in English with 800 numbers; 1052 country music, still audible at 1115, and carrier at 1132; 1137 fade-up for ad about tax return preparation vs IRS, 1138 electronic cigarette for addicts to pretend to smoke. Certainly the oft-heard third harmonic of KWMO, 1350, Washington MO. I was also looking for GUATEMALA, on 4052.5- (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###