Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] Feb 10 Burnt River ON logs (IDs and unIDs)

Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] Feb 10 Burnt River ON logs (IDs and unIDs)

Saul DX wrote:

1490 unID - 1700 - "WSBE 104.9, the classic rock station" followed by
"WRCE Watkins Glen" in what sounded like two separate stations. No
clip posted. This was all quite clear and I didn't have the recorder
running.

Probably the same station...and your "WSBE" was almost certainly "WNGZ" or simply "Wingz," one of several sister stations in the Elmira-based cluster with WRCE.

WRCE itself is a throwaway station in that cluster. It's mainly used to simulcast other stations in the cluster, usually "Piggie 100.9" WPGI Horseheads, but sometimes WNGZ 104.9 Montour Falls or WWLZ 820 Horseheads.

WRCE breaks away from simulcast mode occasionally on weekends to carry auto racing, either NASCAR coverage or a simulcast of the track announcements from the Watkins Glen International raceway. When they're carrying racing from the Glen, there are often long periods of dead air or wild sound of cars on the track.

I go to the Glen a few times a year with my dad, who's been going there since they were racing in the streets in the early fifties, and it's always interesting to play the "what's on WRCE today?" game...