Re: [IRCA] Run Don't Walk

I'd say...

From Burnt River ON sunset skip started when I had a late luch at 2:30, with
Maine and the rest of New England blasting in. 1280 Gardiner ME and 1230 CT (the Spanish station there) both new, some nice relogs.

Veered to the sw and I netted Oakland NJ, on my target list for awhile, and some relogs from NJ area I don't hear often. WOKV 690 FL popped in, and then it was strong to the nw, with MN WI MI and MB. Nothing new up that way but one of best sigs ever to 730 Dauphin MB, and KTOE 1420 Mankato MN. 1100 Dilworth mixing evenly early on with WTAM 1100.

Evening seems slow but now that I've read the e-mail from the NS DXer (below) I'll check eastwards and see if I can nab Nova Scotia and the Maritimes. I did a TA scan and neted good sigs out of Algeriaon 531, 549, and some other stuff, mkostly good hets. Too bad I have to leave tomorrow (I was going to go home on Wednesday morning but want to beat the coming snowstorm).

I relaid a wire on the ice almost due west. It's about 400 feet and it rocks. Non-directional, just sitting on the ice. I did that on foot but after seeing an open spot on otherwise thick enough ice I went out on skis today to spread my weight a bit a, when I checked it (for damage from snowmobiles). It's generally only a problem on weekends. If any of you do use ice on lakes this way, play it safe. Go on skis, test the ice for thickness every so often, and take something that you can use to grab into the ice to pull yourself out; and if you do fall in flutter-kick like a seal to help get out.

Saul Chernos

----- Original Message ----- From: "Murray Lycan" <va1cq@xxxxxxxx>
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 5:20 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Run Don't Walk

Go to your radios tonight! In Halifax now, radius of strong stations at 6 pm local (5 pm EST) is including Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal to the west, Cleveland to SW, Baltimore to south. All are high power stations but they are stable and clear even at this early hour. SFI has been steadily trending up. This could be an interesting night...

Murray VA1CQ
Mineville, NS