[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, January 24-26, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, January 24-26, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** OKLAHOMA. 1610, have noticed that the Enid NWS relay via WQCL720, Great Salt Plains State Park, has been overridden by loud roaring noise lately, surely not an intentional new way of representing the nearby town of Jet, but presumably another transmission or input problem unnoticed at park HQ. Got worse as I drove north of Enid on US 81 to release another trapped squirrel banned from our pecans, Jan 24 at 2100 UT just across the Grant County line; and still that way in western Enid on Jan 26 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, Jan 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1430, KALV, Alva has a null toward KBEZ Tulsa, and consequently Enid, but signal is JBA in western Enid Jan 26 at 1940, and just as I tune in hear ``stereo 1430, KALV, Alva`` ID. No AM stereo on my caradio but KALV is among the AM$ stations listed as of Sept 2008 at
http://mysite.verizon.net/tekel/amstereo/usa.htm
Then ad for HCG, which should have included a warning like this:
http://www.hcgdietdangers.net/warning.html
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, WBBZ, Ponca City, a semi-local here during daytime with oldies; unfortunately when I tuned across Jan 26 at 1944 UT, DJ was mixing extended weather forecast with religious exhortations, e.g., a nice day Sunday so you must go to church, etc., so it took him a couple minutes to get thru the week (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1681, tnx to many monitors closer to the Great Lakes who IDed the source of my het on 1680 as off-frequency WPRR, Ada MI, Public Reality Radio. One report had them back on 1680, before I heard 1681 again, Jan 24 at 0643 UT, so it was recurring, but not noted since.

I have no idea what kind of transmitter they are using, but could someone familiar with AM outsenders explain how this could happen? AM units are normally fixed on one frequency and of course there is no need to be able to switch them, unlike frequency-agile international SW transmitters with a keypad making it quite possible to manually punch in the wrong frequency. Or does the WPRR unit have a 1-kHz-step tuning knob someone could bump? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my inquiry last time about how WPRR Ada MI could slip off-frequency one kHz to 1681, received this answer from Robert LaFore, Radio Chief Engineer in Atlanta GA:

``Most if not all AM BCB transmitters are crystal controlled. They normally have a main and backup xtal. They can be tweaked with a trimmer. My guesses are:
1. Equipment failure
2. Unusually hot or cold in the tx shack
3. A frequency check led them to believe it was off-frequency, and they then mis-adjusted to make up for the faulty frequency reading
4. They switched from one crystal to the other, and whatever they switched to is off frequency. (Somewhat related to 1 above)``

Rechecked for a recurrence Jan 26 at 0718, no het on 1680 but an open carrier atop the channel from KRJO or something (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, Jan 25 at 1422, ID in passing as ``570 KLIF``, adstring, SAH. It`s KKLF, Richardson TX in The Metroplex, which is supposedly simulcasting another Dallas station, ``The Ticket``, KTCK-1310, but previously ran KLIF as implied by the call letters. Speculation is that no one is paying attention to which station goes out on 1700, and it still might be either one. I have no interest in listening to either, stupid ballgames or farrightwingnuts. Supposedly they both have local coverage gaps needing 1700 to fill in (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###