Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 13:16:09 -0600
From: Tim Kridel <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	<irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Off topic - Digital Audio Recorders

For about five years, I've been using the recording feature built into
my
Windows Mobile smartphones. I've never tried jacking into a radio or
something else. Instead I just place the phone near the speaker. It
works
surprisingly well.

More recently, I've been trying several iPad/iPhone recording apps. All
of
these worth exploring if, say, you want the ability to record DX while
on
vacation but don't want to pack a separate recorder.

It's easy to transfer audio files from these devices to a PC or Mac by
using
USB or Bluetooth. You also could e-mail them straight from the device if
you
keep the file sizes down by using the right bit rate when recording. For
example, my Windows Mobile phone is set at 44.1 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 86
kb/s,
and an 18 minute recording comes out to 1.8 MB.