From: Andy Ikin <andrew.ikin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Help with Flag antenna question
Date: Saturday, 4 December, 2010, 21:40

Barry Davies wrote on Dec. 4.

"Hello IRCA'ers
I have a 12' x 33' Flag antenna. We have had recent snow here in the UK. The bottom wire of my Flag is under some 2 foot of snow. I feel I have lost some directivity with the antenna. Can the snow affect the directivity of a Flag antenna? If so, I'll dig it out of the white stuff despite the sub zero temperatures outside hi! Any help appreciated and my best wishes for Christmas to one and all from a very Christmas looking "ye Merrie oldie England."

Barry,  I had a similar issue with a K9AY antenna about 10 years ago. The base wires dipping in the snow screws up the directivity. My current K9AY phased array has both antenna base wires elevated 1.5m off the ground. I have snow here too and there is no degradation in the array directivity.

I would recemmend that you raise the bottem wire of your Flag to at least 4ft above the ground, but you may need to raise the Flag height too, to retain the antenna gain.

73

Andrew

Mid Wales.