[IRCA] Hawaiian report for Sunday Nov 28, 2010

[IRCA] Hawaiian report for Sunday Nov 28, 2010

Finally got around to leaving the lanai and heading down to the beach to escape the noise, although our complex is relatively quiet here in Kauai, Hawaii.  We're spending 10 days in Poi'pu at the Outrigger Plantation complex on the south shore of the island.  My first time to Kauai, and it truly is a gem (previously I've DX'd from Maui on many occasions and from Honolulu as well).  Conditions don't seem to be all that great, but there were a few surprises.  Tonight I listened between 06:00 to 07:15 UTC.  Nothing at all from Alaska (which I've heard well on other visits in the past), nor Japan.  Pacific Islands propagate fairly, with RFO Tahiti quite good on 738.  I didn't hear 1017 Tonga tonight, but it's been present on other evenings at fair level.  1098 continues with a weak modulation.  A couple of nights again 1386 Radio Tarana from New Zealand was coming in very well, but not so so far tonight.  Here's a quick list of what was heard sitting on the beach with my WRTH in hand, a headlamp, and my highly modified eton e100 ultralight with the longer ferrite rod (tuneable), and a good pair of noise-canceling headphones:

530  Most likely Radio Encyclopedia at poor/fair level with non-stop music and no TOH ID at 07:00.
540 CBK, Watrous SK with CBC ID at 06:58 at fair/good level.
580:  Presumably KMJ, Fresno CA at good level IDing as the Bulldogs sports Network brought to you by Wendy's, etc.  Mentions of California.  07:02.
600:  KOGO, San Diego with ID at 06:10 and weather forecast.  Travel advisory due to snow warnings, then into Coast to Coast.  Good reception.
640:  Coast to coast presumably KFI at 06:12, with het from 639, likely Fiji.
670:  prob. KBOI, Boise ID with CBC news at 07:05 and Home Depot ad.  Good reception.
780:  Presumed KKOH, Reno NV  with Coast to Coast at fair/good level at 06:19
880:  Seems that KHCM, Honolulu is off the air.  There's an open carrier there with blips every two to three seconds.  Heard the same for the past several nights.  Weak cochannel, probably KIXI, Seattle at same time (c 06:25).
950:  Radio Reloj, Havana.  My surprise for the evening with SS talk, with the time pips in the background.  ID at 06:30 with TC at poor/fair level.
1020  KTNQ, with SS talk at strong level
1060:  CKMX Calgary, AB.  Nice ID at 07:09 as "Your Classic Country, AM 1060".  Fair/good.  Regularly heard each night monitored.
1070:  KNX, Los Angeles with snowfall warning at higher elevations.  Mentions of Orange County, etc.  Fair /good level at 06:40.
1090:  ?KPTK Seattle with talk program at fair level.  Het from 1089 noted.
1098:  Low modulation, as always talk at 06:43, but too low to make anything out, despite a decent signal.
1100:  KFAX, San Francisco with religious talk at good level.
1150:  Fair reception with sports, possibly KTLK, Los Angeles, with cochannel SS ?KLPM, Portland?
1410:  CFUN, Vancouver with ESPN Radio and The Fan IDs at 06:55 at good level.

Overall, a fun night, but without very outstanding reception.