Re: [IRCA] more on 1130 BC-OR / CKWX lowered power Monday night for testing

Re: [IRCA] more on 1130 BC-OR / CKWX lowered power Monday night for testing

Saul says...

> But let's step back, because one should always take a considered, stepped
> approach to solving problems. Changing one's channel is a bit of a hassle,
> perhaps the last of many potential steps.

Agreed.

Here's my read on the situation as it now stands:

First, it's not clear to me that CKWX *is* in fact being seriously
hammered over a large portion of its primary listening area. Much of the
Fraser Valley was already in somewhat fringe territory for CKWX's signal,
receiving less than 0.5 mV/m. The core of the Vancouver market gets much
more CKWX, and there's no reason to believe that listeners in Richmond or
even New Westminster are hearing KPWX at all. (There is, of course, every
reason for CKWX to overstate the amount of interference it's receiving in
order to help make its case.)

Second, CKWX has an established interest in remaining on 1130. The plight
of an AM station today is bad enough without trying to persuade listeners
who've grown accustomed to "1130News" to suddenly switch to "600News."

Third, as I understand it, the CRTC has nothing at all to do with any of
this. It's entirely up to Industry Canada to determine what technical
modifications CKWX might be allowed to make domestically, and it's the
purview of the U.S. State Department and its Canadian counterparts in the
diplomatic realm to handle international negotiations.

As for negotiations, it's my understanding that there *are* talks
happening across the border, and I suspect these "tests" now underway are
somehow related to those discussions. I don't know what the resolution
will be, but I think it's pretty safe to say that when the dust settles,
CKWX will still be on 1130.