Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] more on 1130 BC-OR / CKWX lowered power Monday night for testing

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] more on 1130 BC-OR / CKWX lowered power Monday night for testing

Paul Walker wrote: >>> CKWX can;'t just apply for a new frequency.. you make this out to be a lot simplier then it really is.<<<

That's not true. Patrick's suggestion of 600 is interesting. CKWX could very easily apply for a new frequency. There's a few potentially open channels in Vancouver. Like 1570, or perhaps 600 as Patrick suggested. And not only could they apply, the CRTC would likely be receptive if CKWX does its homework and presents a clear picture - and if this would truly best solve the problem.

If CKWX is getting hammered and listeners are affected, the station needs to consider its options. Options could include a new channel, power and pattren modifications to the existing channel, one or more FM repeaters, a full move to FM.

But let's step back, because one should always take a considered, stepped approach to solving problems. Changing one's channel is a bit of a hassle, perhaps the last of many potential steps.

If I was the owner, my first tack would be to speak with an experienced engineer and a lawyer.

Their advice notwithstanding, my preference would be solve this diplomatically by (a) contacting the station and (b) if need be the CRTC / Industry Canada.

I don't want to lose listeners. So I would not wait long for diplomacy to work, unless the U.S. station makes determined efforts to modify its signal (if this is reasonable to expect) and/or behaviour (if the U.S. station is doing anything inappropriate).

My next step (I'd probably get a head start in terms of research while any diplomacy is going on) would be to look at technical options (described above) or legal measures (I'm not convinced there are many, but a lawyer might help CKWX persuade the Canadian authorities that somehow they need relief; and I am confident the CRTC would care if CKWX took appropriate steps to prove that listenership is being significantly hampered).

Saul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul B. Walker, Jr." <walkerbroadcasting@xxxxxxxxx>