Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] CT DOT 1670 and KWO35 1630 mysteries

Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] CT DOT 1670 and KWO35 1630 mysteries

Anything within range of KWO35 is possible, which means all of Southern CT, all of Northern and most of Central NJ, and all of SE NY. And it cuold be a highway HAR, or a municipal or county TIS. Many of these types rebroadcast NOAA weather radio during times when they don't have local items to air.

The fact that there's no break for any local ID's ( although I'd expect voiceovers as often ), would suggest something testing or more likely a local municipal station as opposed to a county or highway authority, etc.

West Hartford and Manchester CT have 1630's, but the former would relay Hartford NOAA.

There are 4 municipal stations on 1630 in Northern NJ - Fort Lee, Clifton, Sea Bright and North Plainfield, although the latter would as likely relay the Southard, NJ NOAA.

In addition to your stated prime suspect there are potentially 10 other transmitters on 1630 in NYC, Long Island and Westchester County on 1630, although any which are more than halfway out on Long Island would be expected to air NOAA in Riverhead.

I'd likely discount most of the NY ones as most would be expected to locally ID - and the JFK airport one definitely does so.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id