[IRCA] DX Logs from Marion, ILLINOIS

Time: 2 to 3pm Central
Date: Friday October 8, 2010
Location: west side of Marion, ILLINOIS
Radio: Stock car radio in a Ford ZX2

Reception today was INTERESTING. Signals that were normally weak but very
listenable were LOUD and signals that were non exsistant were weak but
fairly listenable.

For instance, 1KW'er 1240 WEBQ Harrisburg IL at 30 miles to my east is
usually weak but listenable on the east side of town. I was on the west side
of town and it was LOUD and clear today. 5KW/3 tower signaled 630 KJSL which
is usually mildly listenable was fairly loud. 1KW/2 towered WKYX 570
Paducah, KY which is usually listenable was LOUD!! 250 Watter 740 WVLN
Olney, IL at 100 miles away which is usually non exsistant was listenable.
1KW'er 1230 WHCO Sparta, IL at 50 miles away which is usually non exsistant
was very listenable today. 500Watter WIBH 1440 Anna, Il at 50 miles away is
usually nearly non existant due in part to distance and splatter from WINI
1420 but WIBH was listenable today. 1kW ND signaled KSTL 690 which is
usually nearly non existant was mildly listenable today. 670 Watter WGAB
1180 Newburgh/Evansville, IN at 100 miles away was mildly listenable even
though it was usually non exsistant. 145 Watter WMSK 1550 Morganfield, KY
which is usually absolutely and utterly non exsistant at 40 to 50 miles away
was weak, but there. 1KWer WBCE 1200 Wickliffe, Kentucky at 60 miles away is
usually NON exsistant but was weakly listenable today.

DX Loggings from Non Local Stations:

530khz
I had 3 different TIS signals fighting it out. Two were computerized voices,
one was using a real human. One of the computer voiced signals was doing the
weather forecast and the one with the human was giving driving or travel
tips.

540Khz
Mentions of "Sports Radio 540 The Fan" and ads for a tire store in Grand
Rivers, Kentucky. Grand Rivers and another location. Grand Rivers is 50 to
60 miles from Clarksville, TN. This logging would be 1KW ND WKFN
Clarksville, TN

610kHz
Heard some rock n roll music and a live dj mentioning the 50th class reunion
for a high school in Russellville, Kentucky. This is 1KW ND signaled WRUS
Russellville, KY. I called up the DJ to request a song and he actually put
me on the air..LIVE.. for a few minutes to chat!! LIVE, LOCAL RADIO!!

880Khz
All I heard was some Mexican music. Conferring with a co-worker of mine(and
former owners of WINI 1420) this is WIJR 880 Highland, IL. 1700W/4 tower
directional SE.

980kHz
Heard mentions of B93.1 FM coming out of a song (the AM was obviously
simulcasting an FM sister). At the top of the hour, I heard "KBDZ
Perryville, KSGM Chester". 1KW at 80 miles.

1390kHz
Heard a mention for a business in Fairfield, then an announcer doing the
weather with a few mentions of WFIW. 710 Watt ND from about 70 miles away.

WKFN, WRUS, WRUS, WFIW, WVLN, WBCE, WMSK are all new loggings for me.

October 15, 2010 marks my 6th anniversary working in radio.

See, I don't DX often.. but when I do.. it's usually very good!

Paul Walker
www.onairdj.com
www.facebook.com/onairdj