Re: [IRCA] DU DX in IL

In the pre IBOC days a few years ago I had decent hets from 1098 a couple times on the 2010 bearfoot right at sunrise as WTAM faded down. Marshall Islands commonly left their OC on after signoff around 1100 GMT. KFAB IBOC is nasty here, but you might be able to loop it. I also recall a 738 het a couple times, but only a weak one.

About 15 years ago, the R8A, Sanserino Loop combo had a few TP/DU weak carriers including one morning when I was sure that on 1566 I had two different weak carriers, one towards Korea and one towards Australia but both well over 10 dB too weak for me to even dream of audio.

702 has at least traces of signal here most mornings if I check and might be a good shot for Minn since you're far enough from 700 to not get meaningful WLW groundwave and by your sunrise time, there won't usually be any WLW skip. As for 738, that may depend on how much of Fargo's sports you get once Toronto 740 has faded. 612 has also been here, but just shy of audio levels.

I can't stress enough the need for a seriously good communications rx for this stuff. I am quite happy that I have things fixed up again so that I can use the R8A from the DX truck. Last season I was using the E1 and while it is a good rx for domestics and stronger splits, the superior filters and better weak audio copy capabilities of the Drake win out for stuff like this. Ideally I'd be running the Perseus and lap top via battery from the truck but I need to do some work to set that up as well as some rerouting of my BOGs to ground rods for feed transformers for cable to get them away from horrendous lap top display noise.

73 KAZ