[IRCA] One week until the convention - news, updates and a question

[IRCA] One week until the convention - news, updates and a question

It's hard to believe...but just a week from now many of you will be converging on Rochester for the 2010 NRC/WTFDA convention.

We're excited to have you - and we can even squeeze in a few more last-minute registrants if you're just deciding to come now.

Here are a few updates from Convention Central:

THURSDAY DINNER/BALLGAME: For early arrivals, we're planning a 5:30 PM dinner on Thursday at the Portofino Bistro, a local Italian restaurant - and then at 7:05 PM, the Rochester Red Wings, the AAA affiliate of the Minnesota Twins, will play the Pawtucket Red Sox (wonder who they're affiliated with?)

But... **we need a head count ASAP**, so if you're planning to be here Thursday and you haven't checked in with me yet by e-mail or phone to confirm, we need to hear from you. If we can get 20 people for the ballgame - and we're close - we can get discounted group rates for the tickets. (Even if we don't, tickets are only $7 or so...)

FRIDAY STATION TOURS: Our agenda is now confirmed - at 10 AM, we're seeing the new studios of Clear Channel Radio here in Rochester, including the legendary 1180 WHAM. Then we head over to "Rochester Radio City," the fantastic studio building that was built in 1948 for WHAM radio and TV. Today, it's home to WROC-TV and WUHF-TV, but much of the original history is intact. (We'll even get to sit in the 1940s audience seating area to watch part of WROC's noon newscast.)

After that, we head over to my station, WXXI, for a tour of our renovated facilities, plus a live broadcast of our "1370 Connection" radio talk show featuring several NRC/WTFDA members talking about DXing and radio in general - and we'll have pizza and soda as well.

And then we'll go up to the Pinnacle Hill transmitter facility to see several of Rochester's FM and TV stations, including WXXI-TV/FM and WPXY-FM/WCMF-FM.

Friday night is the cookout/DX session out at Jim Renfrew's home, and he's got some surprises planned there for your enjoyment.

SATURDAY MORNING DX SEMINARS: Ever wanted to hear KAZ talk about antennas? Doug Smith W9WI talk about the DTV conversion? How about a demonstration of the Perseus receiver? All that and more is on tap for Saturday morning's DX seminars...followed by lunch and a tour of the Antique Wireless Association museum. And in the evening, it's the banquet, business meeting and auction, followed Sunday morning by the DX quiz.

And if you're driving south or west on your way out of town Sunday afternoon...stay tuned for news of some possible open houses at several of the small-town stations on the way out of Rochester.

***ANY QUESTIONS? STILL WANT TO REGISTER? Your convention committee is here to help! Drop me a line by e-mail or give me a call (585-442-5411) and we'll get you set up.

See you here in Rochester...just one week from now!