[IRCA] Tecsun PL-360 DSP Ultralight Radio-- External Antenna Experimentation

[IRCA] Tecsun PL-360 DSP Ultralight Radio-- External Antenna Experimentation

Hello All,

>From the very beginning of the Ultralight Radio boom in late 2007,
inexpensive pocket radios have been ideal experimental platforms for upgraded
antennas, sharper IF filters and other such performance improvements.

Recently China's Tecsun company introduced their new PL-360 AM-FM-SW-LW DSP
 receiver, a very small Ultralight radio with a vertical-form cabinet.
Although the tiny stock loopstick will leave an AM-DXer seriously unimpressed,
the PL-360 does have one unique feature which saves the day-- a plug-in
antenna jack, which offers ULR experimenters the rare chance to try out
upgrade DXing antennas without any need to modify the radio  itself.

Two recent PL-360 antenna breakthroughs have included John Washburn's
inductive coupling of his 900' Beverage antenna to the PL-360 using the 3"
ferrite stick from his C.Crane Twin Coil Ferrite system (also described in the
DXer. Ca ULR file section at
_http://www.dxer.ca/file-area/cat_view/87-ultra-light-radio-files-area/97-ulr-antennas_
(http://www.dxer.ca/file-area/cat_view/87-ultra-light-radio-files-area/97-ulr-antennas) , and  also at
_http://www.mediafire.com/?kw4zkwow23u_ (http://www.mediafire.com/?kw4zkwow23u)  .
John was able to obtain an excellent inductive coupling match (avoiding any
 overloading issues), in a system which provides an ideal way to enjoy
high-gain antenna DX on Ultralight radios.

In another experiment, the PL-360's mediocre stock antenna was  replaced by
an effective 7.5" plug-in loopstick, greatly boosting AM and  LW
sensitivity in the model. The design was used to create convenient  plug-in loopsticks
for many non-technical ULR-DXers to enjoy greatly  increased weak-signal
performance on the PL-360, without the need to  perform any radio
modification. This experimentation is described at
_http://www.mediafire.com/?yummxhqeyjy_ (http://www.mediafire.com/?yummxhqeyjy)  ,  and also in the Dxer.Ca ULR
file section at
_http://www.dxer.ca/file-area/cat_view/87-ultra-light-radio-files-area/97-ulr-antennas_
(http://www.dxer.ca/file-area/cat_view/87-ultra-light-radio-files-area/97-ulr-antennas)  .

For those of you who have yet to experience the fun and excitement of
Ultralight Radio DXing, we invite you to check out our Ultralightdx Yahoo group,
 now 615 members strong. Our file section has extensive reviews of many
Ultralight radios, antenna experimentation files, and description of a very
popular DXing Awards Program. We would love to have you join us!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)