[IRCA] Antenna patterns change

Hi Everyone,

Last night I reconnected the ground rods to the end of the beverage.
Eastern cx last night were terrible here, so I could not compare
signals. KSTP was very poor and even KOA wasn't too hot. But today, in
comparing daytime signals. I find signals to ESE to be stronger with the
ground connected. This probably explains why with the ground connected,
I don't hear the LW TAs on the beverage. Back in the 80s, I had a good
lobe into Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, into Central Florida quite
often. Infact WXVI 1600 AL was a regular most nights. Then I had to
raise my beverage, so the farm equipment could pass through in about
2003. At the time I also disconnected the ground at the end. The
beverage never did as well. I blamed it on raising the antenna. I am
sure that had an effect, but it is interesting to note on groundwave
daytime, the lobe is more to the ESE with the ground connected. KSL 1160
at 1500 EDT is S7 and I know earlier in the week, it wasn't that strong.
Portland's 50KWers are a bit stronger too. I remote switch at the far
end to disconnect the ground rods could be an interesting test. One
other thing that may also affect it, is the ground rods are 30 feet to
the West of the end, so in connecting the rods back up, the beverage is
30 feet shorter. That also may have some effect.  I think since TA's are
not going to return until next Fall (If they do), I'll will leave the
ground connected and see what is heard. I may have my lobe back towards
the SE part of the US. I really have missed it too.

73

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside Oregon
"Come visit us for the 2010 IRCA convention held Sept 24-26 at the Inn
At Seaside."