Re: [IRCA] Finally, a Way to DX Outside the Confines of Real-Time

Re: [IRCA] Finally, a Way to DX Outside the Confines of Real-Time

This is old news, actually. I've been part of the development team, and it's taken too long, IMO, for this project to come to fruition. I was devoted to the working group that designed features allowing the set-up to work in future time. There were some huge delays, and it's our work that ultimately held up the project. The problem for us was there are so many time-related unknowns about the future, outside of the world of radio. For instance, until recently we lacked any know-how about how closely solar cycles will hold to the 11-year rule. Thanks to the current extended cycle, we now know the 11 years to be utter heresy. The current 'anomaly' - if you must call it that - really helped push this to completion. Anyhow, the set-up can DX as far ahead in time as the user wishes, and you can thank the diligence and persistence of our team for that.

The downside of all of this is that my Burnt River ON DXing days are now over. I'm being moved to another secret project. The Burnt River site was purely for field testing. That logging of Edmonton on 930 a few weeks ago. That actually occurred in 1973. Oh hell, all those hours of testing drove us to some pretty heavy drinking - we can't remember half of what we heard, but rest assured it was pretty awesome stuff. Yes, some of it was made up - we had to keep people like you off our trail.

And the hijinks that happened over the years! That happens when you work together, intensely, as a small intimate group. One neighbour up there is a spiritualist. We invited him over for an end-of-the-work-week barbeque, and he showed us how to summon long-gone DXers. Oh, what a night we had reminiscing with fellow hobbyists you haven't seen in years. A few of them lingered, providing us with valuable advice about what conditions were like back in the day; this was valuable, and we passed along valuable advice to those elsewhere on our team working to turn back the Perseus' clock.

I could tell you more, and indeed I'd like to, but, well, we'd have to kill you.

Saul Chernos