Re: [IRCA] lack of post dawn enhancement in the tropics

Re: [IRCA] lack of post dawn enhancement in the tropics

cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
My 1098 mystery station was back again, and a bit better than normal.
It had a great carrier, but not so great modulation.  I still can't
decide on the language.  I'm pretty sure its not Japanese or standard
Chinese, but I haven't ruled out Korean or Mongolian.  Oddly enough,
other mid band regulars like 981 1017 1035 1071 1134 1170 and 1206 were
weak or missing today.  Heck, maybe the Micronesian station is now on 24
hours.......  I wish I knew

1098 is on all the time (Marshall Islands...)
their "programming" ends somewhere between 1000 and 1100UTC
from one of my last checks.

Their carrier is on through LSR
Their modulation tends to run between 60 to 80%
and their audio is unusually "bassy"

I will see if I can hear anything underneath this
carrier in my morning listening period.

Interesting observation about Hawaii based listening -
there does not seem to be a very lengthly post dawn
window of listening - when the Sun comes up, the signals
go down.
--

Interesting that I'm not hearing much from the Marshall's down here in the south Pacific compared to you (and for that matter in WCNA earlier in the season). I suspect that this will change in the upcoming days. We're still south of the Equator, and man, is it hot! I've been running around the Sports deck for 30 or 40 minutes daily around noon, but today, I thought I'd better get out early and so I ran around 08:30 am....still hot as Haides! Man, I had to drink a lot of water. As long as one's in the shade with some breeze, it's fairly pleasant. Don't know how those sun-worshipers do it out there (they're mostly Europeans, it seems...haven't caught on to the melanoma risks!). Re the lack of post dawn enhancement: my assumption is that this is due to the sun rising and falling very rapidly in the tropics compared to our northern climes where the whole process takes much longer. Down here, there's the sun going down, and bang, it's gone! Perhaps the ionosphere acts the same way! Anyway, back to checking my emails. I better get spending more time on-line as I'm not even half way through my 1000 minutes purchased and we're 11 days from docking in Long Beach, CA! Cheers!.........Walt.