[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-30... Weird Mixes

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-30... Weird Mixes

Hello All,

The late-season propagation was again not very inspiring this morning,  but
it certainly is allowing some relatively obscure low-band stations to  rise
up and be heard.

About a week ago John B. and I heard HLQH-558 for the first time (KBS2
//603), with no sign of the usually dominant JOCR. Although it seemed like  we
were the last to hear this pretty common TP, I noticed some weak co-channels
 on both 585 and 594 kHz (under the NHK1 stations) after that, and starting
 paying close attention to them.

The 594 kHz co-channel (mixing with JOAK) was recorded  several times with
KBS-type music and a female-voiced Korean announcer, but  my uninformed
attempts to match the signal with 603-HLSA failed every time  :-) Chuck Hutton
informed me that the Korean station on 594 was in the  KBS1 network, and that
it would never be parallel with the KBS2 603-HLSA  program. Thanks to Chuck
and Bill Harms for reviewing my MP3's to confirm  the station's Korean
language, and other investigational help. Despite the  mediocre conditions this
morning, the 594-KBS1 station was at equal strength  with JOAK for an MP3
recorded at 1432, and may have been the station that Colin  and Nick reported
mixing with JOAK in this morning's reports.

The 585 kHz co-channel was first noticed at a low level mixing  with JOPG a
week ago, always playing music, and never with any audible  voice. The
music seemed to be Chinese, maybe even Chinese opera music,  although the signal
is never very strong. This morning it was in and out  under JOPG, again
with weak music. Hopefully there will be at least one more  strong TP morning
to get some definite clues on it.

Anyway, this morning the high band and mid-band TP's again seemed well
down from their best levels this month, and most of the low band TP's seemed
down in strength as well. With these late-season conditions, the best chance
for hearing something interesting seems to be checking the Japanese
"powerhouse" frequencies, and listening for co-channel TP's competing with  the
weakened NHK stations.

73, Gary

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP ultralight (7.5" Slider loopstick  +
CFJ455K5 filter)
9' and 6' (side) PVC tuned passive loops (in the back yard)