[IRCA] Noise cancelling headphones + Travel

[IRCA] Noise cancelling headphones + Travel

> The Coby ones do have an on-off switch, for the noise cancellation
> circuitry.  I wonder if the frequency response in the "off" position, is
> compromised, in the least?

These are the ones I use --
http://www.maxellcanada.com/press_releases/2004/noise_cancel_headphones.html

I have middle-aged ears with a definite roll off beyond 6 or 7 khz...
so as far as the fidelity is concerned... who knows.
What I do know is that "conversation" frequencies "sound" slightly warmer
with the NC "on" - but that might be a result of how the "anti-noise" system
works in the Maxell's -

Most of the sound that I will be dealing with in Hawaii will be whatever
the frequencies of "surf" are -- and a lot of that is subaudible -- and VERY loud...
So we shall see.

DXing last year with a modified E100 and Sony medium "cans" (not all ear encompassing)
was fatiguing.
Keep in mind that these are rather unusual dxing environs.

If I take my Wellbrook ALA100M with some wire and cable I will be
DXing in relative luxury (peace and quiet)

The plan is: Carry a hard-case (not a Pelican) with me w/
-Eton E1
-Zoom MP3 recorder
-Sony MD
-Stock E100
-ALA100M + Power supply
-Copy of my Amateur radio license &
-Importation paperwork from Canadian Border Services

and hope that Homeland warms up to me -- they generally do
(I am ex-military, worked as civilian for Defense and am currently a civil servant
 who volunteers for some civil defense programs...) so I am pretty low on the
threat to national security index.  :-)

I have debated this over and over again with various radio geeks and hams
and the consensus appears to be: Traveling with radios? Carry them on.
Checked ham gear, if fancy can be carted off my baggage handlers if insecure.
I have nothing but praise for homeland and TSA - and have had nothing but
gracious and professional treatment.
--
Colin Newell - Editor - CoffeeCrew DOT Com ---
Victoria, British Columbia - Blog - Coffee DOT BC DOT CA