[IRCA] Alberta TPs for 3 Oct 2009

Glad to hear Walt had such a successful morning, but I can't claim it was quite as spectacular here. It was definitely better than yesterday though ,and there were certainly enough highlights to make it a fun morning: - my first Russian reception of the season, with Mayak on 549 & 576, and Voice of Russia on 720
- CRI in Russian on 1323 for the first time this season
- Chinese audio on 1251, again for the 1st time this year, and there seemed to be a second station playing music in the background - 801 was finally good enough that I was able to confirm the language was Chinese, though from where I still don't know
- 819 provided my best North Korean reception of the season thus far
- TP audio on 891 which is very rare here. Signal was of fair level, but my NW antenna brings in 890 CJDC extremely well, making 891 real tough
- Like yesterday, both VOA and Korea noted on 1170.
-1089 was not Japanese today, so likely China

In general China was doing quite well, while Japanese signals were lower than many other mornings, with the exception of 567 and 666, which were at times better than 594. Korea seemed about average, other than 819. And, in spite of Vietnam doing so well out west, it has yet to make an appearance here this season. With TAs last night and TPs this morning it's getting hard to fit in some sleep!

73,

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore, Alberta

Korea 711
Russia 720Walter Salmaniw wrote:

OK, first a confession.  Slept in a smidgeon, and didn't get to the dials until 13:33, but what a morning!  I knew something was really up when I noticed many cochannels on many frequencies.  In fact I'm still listening to JOUB at 14:48 with French lessons from at least 14:30 (when they were still a 9, and presently about a 7.5).  Exceptionally good conditons (sorry Dennis, don't know what happened to you out there!).  I'm sure the fellas in Grayland are having a ball! Colin Newell's out at Point-No-Point not far from the old Sombrio Beach site we used to use and texted me several times that things were really hopping there as well. I would even suggest that this morning might match or surpass John's best morning a few days ago at Grayland!  Thankfully, I have my trusty SDR recording function going.  Due to all the fun, I mostly was able to concentrate only on the bottom half of the band and a cursory upper band review very late, apart from a careful early listen to 1566 an!
d!
 1575.  SF 72, A1, K0.  As always, a "6" unless otherwise noted:

153:  6.5
189:  8
279:  8.5

531:  NHK1 at 8 level at 13:44, but just before that EZL music, likely one of the Australians.
540:  8 level CC at 13:50 and echo (lots of echos this morning!)
549:  7 level RR
558:  mx at 8 level
567:  8 level NHK1
576:  9 level RR at 13:51
585:  8 level JJ
594:  9 level JJ and cochannel at 13:52
603:  Several cochannels heard here including weak NHK1 at 13:56!
612:  JOLK // 594 at 14:01.  Music heard at 9 level at 13:57.  Not sure who they were, though.
621:  CC at 9 level, but so was North Korea at 620.901 (usually the CC dominates, but today the N. Korean was equal in strength.  This was an excellent KK morning!)
639:  8 level CNR1 plus hymn (possibly Fiji)
657:  9 level North Korea at 14:02
666:  JOBK // 594 at 9 level
675:  9 level Vietnam for a change.  Love their music!
702:  Hymn at 14:05 at 9 level.  Thought this might be Sydney, but no, I'm pretty sure it was actually DZAS.
738:  8 level CC and cochannel C&W music at 8 level
747:  9 level NHK2
756:  CNR1 at 7 level 14:12
765:  echo ++ at 7
774:  JJ and cochannel at 14:13.  FF lesson at 14:30 still at 9 level, and finally faded out near 15:00.  Don't see FF mentioned in PAL, Bruce
801:  CC at 9
819:  North Korea at 9 level // and much better than 2850 (Bruce I don't think 2380 is on the air since I never hear it).  At 14:16
828:  NHK2 surprisingly weak today at only 7
837:  Multiple stations!  JJ or KK and CC with echo at 14:18 at 8 level
846:  7
855:  North Korea at 9 level at 14:19
864:  7
873:  8 level JJ at 14:19
882:  7
918
936:  EZL music at 14:20 at 8
945: 7 level CC and echo. More than 1 CC station here. I could hear CNR1 plus a more dominant non-CNR1 CC overtop. 972: KK at 9 and another cochannel
1116
1242:  8 level pop music at 14:24
1251:  7
1287:  JJ at 7
1323:  8 level CRI RR
1332
1440:  8 level JJ at 14:27
1503
1557:  WYFR at 7 level at 14:28
1566:  HLAZ at 9 level at 13:33, but with a fairly strong cochannel on 1566.038
1575:  VOA, as a perfect 10. Armchair completely but with obvious het arising from 1574.945 (and I think I could hear very weak audio from it)
1584:  jumble of 3 carriers on 1584.068, 1584.000, and 1583.977 all quite strong resulting in a mess
1593:  nice 8 level CC
1701:  threshold audio at 13:31

That's it for the morning.  I'm sure I'll have many many more catches when I review the Perseus files.  Wow, quite the morning!  Looking forward very much to what others heard today! ....Walt in Victoria