[IRCA] Sandia Peak, NM antenna farm

Before leaving Albuquerque last Sunday I went to the Sandia Peak Tramway in search of the Sandia Peak antenna farm, the home of 23 FM radio stations and probably every TV station in the area. It's two miles from the top of the tramway, the longest in the United States, to the antenna farm, which is about 10,500 feet above sea level. I'd planned to get up there around mid morning and walk to the site.

However I didn't get there until after noon, leaving no time for getting any closer. I decided to see if I could get any decent photos without leaving the top of the tramway. I didn't expect much, but much to my surprise my new camera, the one I used for the Albuquerque tower photos, did pretty well.

As I was walking up from the parking lot much to my surprise I saw a broadcast STL antenna and a two bay FM antenna on top of one of the buildings. Of course I had to get a couple of photos of that. With a little research I found out that it's an auxiliary transmitter site for KQTM 101.7. The main transmitter site is nearby (but not on Sandia Peak) and they run 3 KW ERP from there. The auxiliary site is licensed to run 200 watts ERP.

Here are my photos of the Sandia Peak antenna farm and KQTM's auxiliary site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcgibson55/sets/72157622436805446/detail

My photos of the KKOB studios should be up within a few days. My 8GB SD media card, which has those photos in it, and my three year old card reader aren't talking to each other.