[IRCA] Two Morning Catch-Up

MONDAY MORNING:

Was tied up with family obligations from immediately after dawn, yesterday, so this report was delayed. Sorry.

Was a below-average morning here yesterday, with only a handful of audios above 1100 and less than average showings below. The biggest news was that 900-Victoria was again off the air, at least during dawn (that was very much the case this morning, Tuesday, as well.) Can one dare to hope???

There were a couple of interesting things:

630 kHz.: I always check channels that are simultaneously on the 9 and 10 kHz. band plans and I'd been noticing something behind KCIS, Seattle. Yesterday morning, I stumbled on a very nice ID from KJNO, Juneau. I have not kept good records of Alaskans heard at Grayland, but I know that I've not heard KJNO from here, nor have I QSLed it, so this was a very pleasing catch.

720 kHz: KDWN has seemed much less a bother this year than in the past, so I have been hearing a variety of low level things here at max. dawn. Yesterday, I was sitting here at 1330 and, way in the mud, I heard what just had to be the VOA "Yankee Doodle" interval signal. I heard it TWICE. The first time, I couldn't believe my ears, but the second time.... In any case, there is nothing in PAL for a VOA outlet. I do notice a VOR outlet in Kamchatka, though, and I know that VOA buys time on some VOR Far Eastern transmitters, so that is my best guess. Anyone ever heard this??

TUESDAY, SEPT 15:

Walt had an excellent morning today. I did not. For unknown reasons, my Wellbrook array was down to a single ALA loop, so that was probably part of my problem, but I really feel that it would have been a poor morning, no matter what antenna I'd been using. The high band was awful, with only 5@threshold above 972, yet 1566 and 1575 were at what I would call very normal levels. The low band had about half its normal audios, but happily there were some interesting things.... the most joyful was 900-Victoria continuing to be off the air!!!

540 kHz: With only one ALA 100 loop, I was bi-directional this morning and I noticed Spanish for a while on 540. Has XESURF in Tijuana gone to SS at least part time?? I could find any references to another NAm candidate.

594 kHz: There has been a second signal here many mornings and the non-JJ finally dominated. It was Korean and I notice a KBS1 station listed. I wasn't astute enough to try to parallel it woith other KBS stations.

So, yesterday was low average and today was worse, but still interesting things on the band.

Now to get that antenna repaired!

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights