[IRCA] Tis the season - HSFB and/or Late Day power

[IRCA] Tis the season - HSFB and/or Late Day power

Had a little over an hour, last night (Thursday September 10) to DX.
Thursday is not a traditional HSFB night, though tonight is.  Not
accusing any station of anything but did note some monster signals from
stations that I would not think that I would hear under normal night
power (and only one had HSFB).  All were relogs to the main log but two
were new to the sporadically updated ULR log.  Maybe they will have
"monster signals" for the rest of you, again tonight. :)

At 2003 EDT, I noted 1410 WHLN, Harlan KY with Classic Rock accentuated
oldies.  Very strong.  Assume they were on their 5 Kw day rig (not the
41 watts night power) and they were there until I quit at 2100.  I
jumped to 1570 and 80 hoping to hear some sunset enhanced stations from
my West but instead, I got WLIJ Springfield, TN on 1580 at 2023.
Supposedly 12 watts after 1945 EDT.  I then tuned to 1440 and heard
HSFB, the Franklin County Rebels and knew that I had WZYX, Cowan, TN.
Ironically they were playing Springfield, TN!  Must have been good cx to
TN.

At 2035, I ventured down through the 1000-1220 clears and heard a
dominant station and a weaker station in its null on 1040.  I just knew
that the dominant was WHO, Des Moines and was concentrating on the
weaker one.  Guess what?  The weaker one was WHO and the dominant one
was WYSL, Avon, New York!  This was way after the scheduled kick down to
500 watts.  Wonder if they were on day power, CH power or just good cx
to allow 500 watts to come my way?  I've only heard them once before, at
LSR, in the car.

Hope to try again tonight.  No TA hets were heard.  Earlier in the weak,
WBAL 1090 was getting creamed by a 1089 het (or two).

73,
Dave Hascall
Indianapolis, IN
Eton e-100 barefoot