[IRCA] Tecsun R9012 alignment

After being sidetracked for the past few months by my homebrew one tube 1A5 regen receiver (which logged Cuba and Mexico as well as CKDO-1580 Oshawa ON from my home QTH of Calgary AB) I am getting back into the UL DX field. I have the Gary provided and aligned SRF-59 (as well as the defective SRF-59 I brought myself which suffers from
the dreaded variable cap insulation breakdown).

Given all the glowing reports regarding the Tecsun R9012 I won one from eBay seller dpmega ($9.90 plus $7 shipping) on Apr 18; it was shipped Apr 23 and arrived in my
mailbox May 4. It is one of the "good" 2009 models.

I did the alignment tonight which went very smoothly thanks to Gary's excellent instructions available online. To extend the tuning range to include 1700 kHz I had to turn the trimmer clockwise as opposed to anticlockwise about 45 degrees; as this type of trimmer can be turned either way forever (there are no stops
to limit the rotation) this is understandable.

I was surprised at how much improvement sliding the coil on the ferrite rod made to the low end; in my case I had to slide the coil about 5 mm towards the near end of the rod. While I was in the swing of things I also slid the coil on my Sony TR-6400, a excellent 1960's vintage portable with a turned RF stage. I had aligned that radio before to cover up to 1700 kHz bud did not bother with the antenna coil at that time. In this case the improvement, listening to Saskatoon on 600, was small but noticeable.

I will look forward to UL DXing with my new R9012, and will also do a side by side
comparison with my gary aligned SRF-59.

For those who want to do a FM alignment on the R9012 as I did: the FM oscillator trimmer is the one to the right of the AM oscillator trimmer; the FM antenna trimmer is the one closest to
the ferrite rod.

Many thanks to Gary for starting the whole UL DX scene!

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO
Calgary AB