[IRCA] 9 Foot Longwave Box Loop (and other projects)

[IRCA] 9 Foot Longwave Box Loop (and other projects)

Hello Guys,

Wrapping up the fascinating experimentation with PVC-frame tuned passive
loops, I decided to push my luck on a couple of ambitious projects, both of
which exceeded expectations.

A 9-foot (diagonal) PVC-framed box loop was built for LW reception, using
1.25" diameter PVC for rigid framing. About 490 feet of #18 wire was wrapped
in  19 turns across the PVC frame, with the frame offset from the coil for
maximum  performance. Using the standard tuning capacitor from eBay's
"crystalradiosupply," this monstrous antenna tunes from 167 kHz to 444 kHz,
providing serious gain on any frequency near resonance. Not being a particularly
 active LW DXer, I assume this tuning range is suitable for some LW DXing
:>)  Otherwise, I'll just add a few more turns to get the coverage down to
150  kHz.

Using this monster in my backyard, a slew of LW beacons was booming in  on
the Tecsun PL-600 just prior to sunset, including the following morse  code
stations: "GR" and "LU" around 214 kHz, "HQ" on 235 kHz, "BVS" on 240  kHz,
"HE" on 245 kHz, "QCD" on 251 kHz, "VR" on 266 kHz, and "FHR" on 284  kHz.
Only the "QCD" beacon was audible on the stock PL-600-- the others  required
the 9 foot box loop for reception.

The other ambitious project was a 5.8 foot (diagonal) PVC loop with
removable parts, that can easily be assembled by an apartment or townhouse
dweller in a park, or ocean beach (or anywhere else). This project used silicone
rubber sealant on the coil windings where they crossed the PVC tubes, making
it  easy to get perfectly symmetrical coils every time, when the loop is
assembled  out in the field. It takes about 30 seconds to assemble, and the
broken-down  version will fit easily in any compact car.

Full details on these and other PVC loops will be contained in an upcoming
article, which is nearing completion.

73, Gary DeBock

**************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!