Re: [IRCA] WBIG 1280 Aurora, ILL

Scott wrote:

I have never been to the Aurora sites.

The tall tower, from what I can put together, was used for
long-defunct UHF station WLXT 60, then later by the FM on 107.9 that's
now WLEY, operating from a different location (the WSCR 670 tower)
closer to downtown Chicago.

----

I just stumbled across this message. If this is in reference to the
helicopter crash near
Eola, Illinois, I can state with certainty that this was _not_ the
site of the WLXT 60
transmitter. WLXT's tower was in a place called "Curly's Pit" - that's
right, the tower
was literally in the center of a quarry. I visited the site a couple
of years after
WLXT went dark, and happened to meet the transmitter engineer, who gave
us a quick tour. An attempted second visit ended with a grumpy guy in a pickup
blocking the gate.

The quarry was also a shooting location for the credits of "Crazy Conrad",
one of WLXT's afternoon kiddie shows.

I'm not a list member - I can attempt to answer any questions, though I was just
a kid when WLXT was on the air. (My best friend's dad worked at the station,
so naturally, I got to be on TV...)

regards,

jonathan quist
jeq@xxxxxxxxxxxx