Re: [IRCA] The 980 Western Mysteries Continue

Re: [IRCA] The 980 Western Mysteries Continue

W. Curt Deegan wrote:

Adding some detail for what it's worth, 1700 WJCC Miami Springs, was last noted on the air 10/28/05 in a post hurricane Wilma band scan. Some time after that it left the air, first noted off 02/26/06. On 6/6/06 it was again noted back on the air briefly for testing. A few days after that they resumed regular broadcasting and continue to do so now.

This fits with what was happening at the FCC around that time - their departure from the air in late 05/early 06 would have marked the five year point since the X-band facility was licensed, at which point the owner had to decide which license to keep, the parent station (WNMA 1210) or the X-band (WJCC 1700).

There was a petition for rulemaking in early '06 by a bunch of X-band licensees challenging the FCC's rationale for imposing that five-year rule, and while the FCC still hasn't acted on the petition, the mere filing of it served as a stay of execution for the X-banders.

That's why we haven't seen more X-banders (or their parents) leaving the air, and why a few stations that went off, like WJCC, were allowed back on under STA.

It's my understanding that the X-band is a very sore subject at the FCC, and they'd really like to wash their hands of it completely...which goes a long way toward explaining why we also haven't seen a window for new X-band apps, for instance.