Re: [IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DX....UNID 1460 Khz..Reply to Barry's comments......

On Sunday 22 February 2009 15:19, Robert S.Ross VA3SW wrote:
> I don't think I need a Reality Check Barry.........I haven't put
> this in the Log.....it's a UNID as it stands...we're just trying to
> look at the Possibilities....and until I hear an ID from
> it.....I'll never know just how tight the Beam is on my ULR!!

Please don't take this the wrong way - all I'm saying is that if
you're going to use antenna orientation as an aid to ID'ing stations,
you need to have a realistic idea of what the antenna pattern looks
like.  I guess what puzzles me is your use of the term "beam", which
implies (to me, anyway) the existence of a narrow lobe, such as that
produced by an array antenna like a yagi, or a traveling-wave antenna
like a beverage.  It's not possible to produce a narrow lobe like
that with a small antenna, which typically has a "short dipole"
figure-8 pattern.  Now, if you use the nulls in that pattern to
determine direction (i.e., nulling the unid station), that's a
different story, but even then, it can be tricky to get good
direction-finding accuracy.  A good way to check would be to try
measuring the direction of some known stations, and then looking up
their headings to see how well you did.

Just trying to be helpful, not critical...

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON