Re: [IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DX....UNID 1460 Khz..Reply to Barry's comments......

Re: [IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DX....UNID 1460 Khz..Reply to Barry's comments......

Robert S.Ross VA3SW wrote:
Barry McLarnon wrote:
Whoa! Reality check time. Your heading to WEEN would be about 211 degrees, and to WHBK in Marshall, about 189 degrees. How sharp a "beam" do you think you have?
Actually Barry....I thought Marshall was little farther East than it actually is. The Beam on the Box loop is not as tight as the Beam on the ULR Sony SRF-T615. It is pretty tight and sometimes the slightest adjustment will bring in a different Station. When I turned the T615 SouthEast and South...there was nothing...when I turned it Southwest..the station was there. If it were Marshall...I figured the SE or South Orientation would pick it up...... I don't think I need a Reality Check Barry.........I haven't put this in the Log.....it's a UNID as it stands...we're just trying to look at the Possibilities....and until I hear an ID from it.....I'll never know just how tight the Beam is on my ULR!!

A loop-type antenna has a very broad pattern, and you really can't use it to differentiate between stations only 22 degrees apart (unless you use the null of the antenna, and a carefully-calibrated setup, well away from any metal objects, etc.). Since WHBK runs 5000 W versus WEEN's 860 W (assuming day power in both cases), I'd say it's more likely that you heard WHBK.

Well...that's why I listed it as a tentative and asked for help on this one. I was hoping someone in the coverage area of either or both of these stations would chime in and confirm if they were IDing this way or not?? So far the Only info forthcoming has not confirmed anything...to my dismay. If there is anyone near MARSHALL that can listen to WHBK and confirm either way how they are IDing that would be helpful. I agree the Higher powered Station would be the most logical candidate.......but the direction I was hearing this best has me wondering??? Looks like another frequency that will need monitoring in the mornings to see if anything concrete can be pulled out. Thanks to all those who have helped and are still attempting to assist in clearing this one up.....I appreciate the efforts of those who take the time to assist us when we have UNIDS that need help.

73...ROB.
Robert S. Ross VA3SW