Re: [IRCA] The economy and radio

George,

Some think, this is the only way to make a profit. Downsize, lay off
engineers, DJs, and stay on the air running 24/7 satellite programming.
That way the overhead is low, but at what expense? You have to listeners
and advertisers. With so many downloading their music to Ipods, CDs,
harddrives, etc, even the CD market is way down. Some AM stations like
KGO do well, but they focus on the Bay Area with local talk show hosts.
As you said, people need a reason to listen. True, radio used to be a
real friend. It still is with some stations. Local KAST during our huge
storm Dec 07. They were the air with a generator and I listened day &
night.  Really a service to Clatsop County.

73,

Patrick